Thursday, April 10, 2008

When Work Doesn’t Go As Planned

I’ve been a busy bee lately and have been doing a lot of work. Some of what I am doing will pay off in the future and the dividends will be great. It has been fun to do and joyful with great possibilities. I absolutely love it.

However, some of the work that I have done has not been as fun and has been sort of a drudgery to complete. To make matters even more complicated, I haven’t been paid for the work that I have completed, despite the clear terms set out in my contract. I am finding it difficult to make myself want to do anymore work on a project that I am beginning to doubt.

So, what does a writer do when they are losing faith in a client and the project they are working on? I’m really not sure. I know that some would tell me to cut my losses now and move on. However, one of the projects will be entirely completed by the end of April. (Although payment was due the 1st for any work completed last month according to the terms of the signed contract.) Should I just hang in there and if payment is not received upon completion take action? Part of me wants to at least complete that project and then not do any other projects like it in the future. I really don’t enjoy it. But I did commit to doing this project. Hmmm…decisions, decisions.

The other project is an on-going one that was supposed to be very profitable. The articles are tough to write, but the rate is fair. I put a lot of effort into writing them. To not be paid for them is making me nervous. Should I with-hold future articles until I am paid for the past ones? Part of me says yes. Part of me says to give it a couple of more weeks.

The frustrating part about this client is that they paid me for another project that I work on regularly. I have tried inquiring, but they haven’t been returning my e-mails. This probably should figure into my decision and I am not sure where to cut it off. I enjoy the other project that I did receive payment for and do not want to damage the relationship with the client. I hate being put into a position like this and I don’t want to make a wrong decision.

So what would you do in my situation? I am looking for guidance and counsel from my colleagues. How much is too much and when is enough, enough? As time goes on, I will let you know what action I have decided to take and what happens. Thanks for your help!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Hmmm..that's a tough one. I think you should go with your gut and stop future articles until you get paid, especially if they are late on paying you for the other work. The fact that they aren't returning your inquiry e-mails is a major red flag. Good luck1

Brenda Emmett said...

Thank you for your help and advice Courtney! I am definitely going with my gut on this one and I am cutting the articles off. This situation made me take a hard and long look at my writing goals and I need to determine if the client is in harmony with those goals. The one gig that I enjoy is in harmony, the other ones aren't. We will see what happens...:)