Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grammar Faux Pas

Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m a sign reader. I am one of those people that as they drive around they find all of the grammatical and spelling mistakes on the business signs around town. I’ve done it for years and I don’t see an end to it anytime in the near future. I don’t get paid for this, but I can’t seem to stop myself from mentally correcting the offending mistakes that I see all around me everyday. Perhaps it is the editor in me.

I think that what really drives me crazy is when I see spelling and grammatical mistakes in published pieces. It is one thing to roll your eyes at a sign when you drive by, and an entirely different matter to find it done by another professional in your line of work. It makes me cringe. It is like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard. These are people who should know better.

When it comes to bad grammar, I’ve seen it all. And I don’t mean that I’ve seen it all because I’m a mom to an almost teenager. These are mistakes made by people I consider colleagues in the writing world. The incorrect uses of then and than or accept and except. The misuse of lose and loose. (C’mon people, it’s lose weight, not loose weight.) The incorrect use of edition for addition or affect for effect and vice versa. I could go on and on and on. And lest you think these are all by the same person, think again. There are several guilty offenders, although there are some who have made multiple offenses.

Now, while I am not meaning to be the grammar police, I do think that it would behoove us as writers to be very sure of what we publish. When we make mistakes such as the ones I have listed, we lose credibility. Once that is lost, it is difficult to get it back.

I know I am not perfect, nor do I pretend to be…except with my son. But this is an issue that we need to perhaps take just a little more seriously as professional writers.

Oh, my favorite mistake this past week? C’mon…laugh with me…Wendsday for Wednesday. What are some of your favorites?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenda,

My favorites are there for their, your for you're.

Now you've made me paranoid. I'll have to reread my posts to make sure I'm not missing anything!

It bugs me when others do it and it bugs me even more when I've rushed and done it.

Great post again.

Brenda Emmett said...

Thanks Violette! :) This is one of my favorite subjects and it drives my family crazy. LOL!

Dana Prince said...

I notice poor grammar in ads all over. My son calls me "Aunt Josephine" after the character in the Lemony Snickets books who LOVES grammar. I am a grammar critic but do not profess grammar perfection in my own writing. I'm a grammar hypocrite, quite honestly.

There's an adult toy slash lingerie store in our town and they have a big frosted window filled with type-o's about the exotic products they carry. Every time I go by, I glare at it and think "Dirty, stupid store!"

Yesterday I posted on a forum about an editing job three times and made three separate errors so finally deleted my post out of humiliation. That was a REALLY bad one! I pity the people who subscribe to the posts instead of reading them on the site as they are probably rolling their eyes wondering how anyone could offer me an editing job. In my defense, I type very fast and hit submit before proofreading on forums quite often.

I have a few things that I struggle with in my own writing:
-affect and effect. I came up with a system for remembering which one to use but sometimes just use my mental thesaurus to come up with a different word instead because that's easier than remembering which one to use.

Conversation with self: "Which one? Affect or effect? Affect-action. Effect-end result. Right? Hmmm. Oh heck! I'll just use impact!"

-necessary. I always type neccesary and then fix it. I really think it needs two c's instead of two s's.

-separate. I really think it should be spelled seperate. Why? It just looks like a type-o when I see separate.

Brenda Emmett said...

Dana,

Thanks for stopping by! :)

I almost typed so quickly on an article yesterday that I could have been in trouble. Thank heavens for editing! LOL!

I almost to my complete shame mixed up illicit for elicit. LOL! That would have changed the article quit a bit, don't you think? :)